Tuesday 15 October 2013

Day 22 part 2 : Genre Theories

Throughout Horror there are influences, ranging through all different time periods. E.g Halloween from Psycho and Scream from Halloween. The chain of influence is a never ending cycle. I believe every movie has some element of originality, however they add their own twist on it, whether it’s through genre, camera techniques or how characters are portrayed.  

Below is a video I made using a screen recorder, it presents Neale's and Todorov's genre
theories and my views on them.


To summarize, I agree with Todorov's genre theory the most. I believe a new genre can always be formed by the mixture of other genres. Horror is a genre which consistently explores different genres, this is often reflected in the narrative but also the conventions they follow. I agree with Neale's theory in terms of difference, however it's implied that everything is repeated and Horror movies often have unique twists and representations of characters e.g "Final Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment