Wednesday 15 January 2014

Day 67 part 2 : Monday 13th :- Psychiatrist scene Pre-Production

Introduction

In order to make sure when filming I have an idea of what angles and shots I could use effectively in our trailer, I made a PowerPoint with key aspects we as a team must remember whilst filming but also me as a camerawoman.

Before creating this PowerPoint, I once again deconstructed other students final trailers but as we have to gain influences from real media texts I decided to search interrogation scenes and psychiatrist Horror scenes in YouTube, as I noticed from watching a wide variety of trailers/movies such as Silence of the Lambs and Identity.  A lot of Horror films conform to the convention of having a scene where a symbol of authority or a potential victim questions or approaches the villain. I believe scenes like these are extremely effective as they are often used to highlight the lack of morality villains have towards their victims, thus making them more likely to be seen as evil and sinister by the audience. (This also results in them victim identifying with the main protagonist which is an aspect which I believe should be prevalent in Horror trailers, as if the characters within the narrative aren't likable or appealing to the audience it is unlikely they would want to see the film as there would be no one to identify with).

Idea 

Below is a compilation of my different ideas I came up with to share with Afreen and Priscilla, but also the specific angles and shots I wished to recreate in our interrogation scene with our main protagonist Flora.
The script I quickly created in order to give Priscilla a sense of what was required in the role of a psychiatrist, however Priscilla then improved this due to her natural ability to make scripts sound more realistic. I struggled creating a script for the psychiatrist as I felt I was either revealing too much of the plot or using too much cliches, e.g "your mother did it Flora". This also highlights the idea that if you have weaknesses you can always ask your fellow group members for help, as your weaknesses are often their strengths so we must recognize each others weaknesses and strengths in order to produce pieces to the best of our ability.


Conclusion/Summary

I used a YouTube video and print screened shots and angles I thought were effective from a scene in a Horror film. I then printed it out and brought it to Afreen's house and it was extremely useful as a guider when filming. In the future I would definitely print off more guidance sheets including angles, shots, reminders to keep an eye out for mise en scene errors and use of natural sound (meaning no one talk when filming) in order to make sure I check the mise en scene is perfect and no one is talking to sustain the element of natural sound which will be useful in post-production.

Here is a copy of a PowerPoint I sent to Afreen and Priscilla through Hotmail. (Which is why it contains informal language and internet slang at certain points) *Please hold left click on images to zoom in & there is a music player on the right hand side below (This was made using Glogster.com). Feedback from our first set of shots inspired these notes especially the "no pans" as our teacher adviced us that it would often look too slow, so in order to gain a wider variety of shots I made this note.


No comments:

Post a Comment